David duChemin: On Real Photographers.
We’re so fond of definitions and categories. We need them. Without them how would we exclude those who threaten us, threaten our living, or our artistic sensibilities? Have you ever noticed how conveniently those definitions always include us, how the borders defined by the exclusion they map out seem to change in relation to the way we change? We are always in.
David DuChemin is always an interesting read who looks at the field away from the techy and geeky bits, which I find refreshing. Here, he digs into the whole “who is a real photographer?” clique problem and I must admit, I think he’s exactly right. The fact is, all the complaining about the new wave of digital photographers (which I’ll note includes me, even though I cut my teeth on Tri-X and a wet darkroom decades ago) won’t bring back the “good old days”, not that they ever were. Time to stop trying to exclude people and figure out how to build your own place in the new reality.
- Anatomy of a Landscape Photo: Joshua Cripps discusses the compositional decisions of one of his photos.
- 10 Tips for Photographing Birds
- Concert Photographer, Where Did Your Integrity Go?
- 5 Insurance Options for Protecting Your Business and Gear as a Photographer
- G Dan Mitchell: Landscape Photography Settings
- Defining Your Own Success
- My Latest Interview: Finding Your Own Vision vs Hunting Trophy Shots
- The Difference Between The Top Landscape Photographers and Everyone Else
- How to Use the Right Captions on Your Photos to Better Connect With Viewers
- ALTERNATIVE ICONS IN DEATH VALLEY
- Stop Using A Camera, Start Making Photographs
- Project AIR Workflow
About Three Dot Lounge for Photography
Three Dot Lounge for Photography is an email newsletter that collects interesting things that catch my attention having to do improving your craft with a camera and in the digital darkroom. Three Dot Lounge is written and produced by Chuq Von Rospach,a bird and landscape photography based out of Silicon Valley who enjoys exploring the western united states in search of his next favorite image. You can follow Chuq on twitter at @chuq or on Google+ or Facebook
You can subscribe to or find out more about this mailing list and all of the Three Dot Lounge mailing lists by visiting http://www.threedotlounge.com. Full archives of previous newsletters are available here as well.