Of Interest is a place for things I think are interesting enough to mention and deserve more than a twitter retweet, but aren’t in themselves something that needs their own blog post. Of Interest postings will typically be posted 2-3 times a month, or whenever I find enough stuff to warrant posting it.
For Your Consideration
- James Hansen’s Bombshell Climate Warning Is Now Part of the Scientific Canon: Well, it looks like we’ve successfully screwed up the planet badly enough that it can’t protect us from our abuses any longer. It seems as if we’ve hit that tipping point where things are going to get really ugly over the next few decades. Congratulations, humans, for what you’ve left for your children to deal with.
- Inside Liam, Apple’s super-secret, 29-armed robot that tears down your iPhone: I have to admit, this is pretty cool. I was skeptical at first that this was recycling theater, but it looks like this is a lot more substance than marketing. Wow.
- Adam Savage’s Fake Ted Talk: This reminded me in a very good way of this.
- A very nice piece by the Verge on the fight to restore Hetch Hetchy. My take: I’d love to see this happen some day, but with billions of dollars of unfunded deferred maintenance and funding shortfalls across the existing national parks, I don’t want to see any money spent on this until we properly fund and manage the parks and resources we already have. Let’s fix the things we’ve already protected before diving into a massively expensive, decades-long restoration that’ll use funds we need elsewhere. In 2006 the State of California evaluated this and think this would take between $3-10 billion dollars.
- Pete Docter: On Developing Story Ideas
- Malheur Refuge Manager: ‘It’s 1 Big Mess’
- Audubon California sponsors bill to create rules for drones in state wildlife areas
- On Birding and Photography
- Working Lands: Partnering with landowners to protect birds
- Rise of the Developer Evangelist
- Seanan’s Epic Owl Adventure